Planning for Financial Sustainability
Planning for Financial Sustainability:
Apr 23 2018 - 9:00am - Jun 8 2018 - 5:00pm
Location: On-Demand , United States
Offering Organization: Mango
Getting to know you and the course
- During the first week, you will get to know the other course participants and the case study NGO.
- You will also learn about and key financial sustainability concepts, and discuss how NGOs finance their work.
Where are we now?
- In this week, you will need your calculators at the ready as we use a variety of tools, such as financial ratios, to assess the financial sustainability status of NGOs.
- You will also discover how to use SWOT and stakeholder analysis tools to assess financial strengths and vulnerabilities.
- You will work in teams to help our case study organization, LiFE, assess where they are now. This is the first important step to building a strategy for financial sustainability.
Financial risk assessment and mitigation
- This week builds on the assessment tools in Week 2 to identify common threats to NGO financial resources and long-term security – and then what actions to take to minimize the risks and impact (ie ‘mitigation’).
- One of the most common risks facing NGOs is donor dependency, and you will get a chance to consider the pros and cons of donor funding.
BREAK FOR ONE WEEK
Where are we going?
- This week, you will look at options for alternative financing, and work in teams to help the case study NGO to work out financial targets for their financing strategy, including the type and mix of income they should aim for.
- In our penultimate week, we cover the key policies that you need to have in place to support your financing strategy. For example, a cost recovery policy to outline how to finance central support (overheads), an ethical fundraising policy, and a reserves policy.
- In the final week, we take a closer look at the financing strategy document itself. We will share the completed financing strategy for the case study NGO so that you can see how it all fits together.
- You will also share key discoveries and plans for your own organization’s financing strategies.