FMD Pro 1: The Essentials of Financial Management
|Early - Aug 06||Regular - Sep 16|
All NGO staff have an important role to play in ensuring effective and proper use of financial resources during program implementation.
During this course, you will learn the key principles of good financial management and how to apply them in your workplace.
Designed in a highly participatory style, this course will build your skills and confidence in how to:
- Integrate good financial management systems into operations management
- Manage and control financial resources more efficiently and effectively
During the course participants will gain the knowledge and skills needed for the FMD Pro 1 certification examination.
This course is primarily aimed at staff in small to medium-sized NGOs who are involved in program implementation and/or the management and control of financial resources.
It is designed specifically for:
- Non-financial managers and officers who want to improve practice in financial planning, control and reporting, and
- Finance officers interested in developing their financial management skills and knowledge to improve finance systems and support for program staff
Previous financial management experience or training is not a requirement for this course.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe key tools and concepts which help an organization achieve good practice in financial management
- Build and use effective budgets, including project and donor budgets and cash flow forecasts
- Explain which accounting records we need to keep and why
- Describe the key processes and methods used to keep accounting records
- Use financial reports to monitor project performance and identify actions to keep project finances on track
- Explain how internal controls protect NGO assets and minimize the risk and impact of fraud and errors
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of your NGO’s financial management system
Our training puts the learner at the center, using practical and fun learning activities supported by easy-to-use materials. We share tools and techniques that can be immediately used in your work.
Welcome and Overview
- Introductions, expectations and program overview
Key concepts of financial management
- What is financial management and why is it important for NGOs?
- Structure and governance of NGOs
- Good practice frameworks: Seven principles and four building blocks of financial management
- Financial management systems: the health check approach
- Financial management systems: key organizing tools
- Financial planning process
- Types of budgets and their function
- Practical approaches to building good budgets
- Donor budgets and budget narratives
- Consolidated budgets and core costs
- Cash flow forecasting
- Which records should you keep?
- Practical accounting basics: advances, cash book and petty cash
- The accounting process: cash or accruals
- Producing simple financial reports
- Procurement: process, people and paperwork
- Financial information: who needs what, when and why?
- Understanding financial statements
- Using budget monitoring reports
- Taking action to keep things on track: variances, out of date budgets and exchange rates
- Overview of donor reporting
- The four internal control actions
- The role of audit
- Fighting fraud, bribery and corruption
Summary and close
- Action planning
FMD Pro Level I