eWorkshop: Planning for Financial Sustainability
This online workshop shares the practical tools and know-how to achieve financial sustainability so that you can meet your objectives now and in the future.
You will discover how to assess your current vulnerabilities, and how to move beyond donor dependency.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at:
- Senior managers (CEOs, program directors, finance managers) of national NGOs
- INGO program managers who support partner NGOs
- INGO managers who are responsible for developing a financing strategy for their country programs
- Members of local boards of trustees (such as a Chairperson or Treasurer).
This training is especially effective if a program manager and a finance manager from the same organization attend together.
Previous financial management experience or training is not a pre-requirement for this course.
What You Will Learn
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Assess your or a partner organisation’s financial sustainability and risks
- Describe how to diversify income and become less dependent on donor income
- Explain options for financing central support costs
- Describe how to build financial reserves
- Complete a communications plan to strengthen stakeholder relationships
- Outline your own financing strateft document and associated policies.
All see the agenda for the topics covered.
Our training puts the learner at the center, using practical and fun learning activities, and easy-to-use materials. We share tools and techniques that can be immediately used in your work.
An eWorkshop is the online equivalent of being in a training room and learning together as a group but stretched out over a few weeks.
Getting to Know You and the Course
- What you already know
- LiFE case study
- Key concepts about financial sustainability
- How NGOs finance their operations
Where Are We Now?
- Financial ratios
- How to use SWOT and stakeholder analysis tools
- LiFE case study assessment
Financial Risk Assessment and Mitigation
- Identify common threats to NGO financial security
- What actions to take to minimize risk
- Pros and Cons of donor funding
Where Are We Going?
- LiFE financing strategy
- Cost recovery policy
- Ethical fundraising policy
- End of course assignment
- Financial strategies
- Key discoveries