This online course covers the key skills you need to write effective project and donor budgets. During the course you will create a set of project budgets and come away with practical skills that you can use immediately in your own work.
You will discover:
- how to prepare accurate, complete and justified budgets using the activity-based budgeting technique
- top tips on preparing budgets for donors
- how to use budgets for managing cashflow and monitoring project progress
- techniques for budgeting for central support (‘core’) costs
- a great tool for managing multiple-donor funded programs.
The course is run over five weeks on our online learning platform and is fully supported by our expert trainers. There are no ‘real time’ sessions – all of our ‘conversations’ take place through discussion forums so you can complete the weekly readings, individual tasks and group activities at your own pace.
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for anyone in the not-for-profit sector with responsibility for building or implementing project, program or organization-wide budgets.
This is an introductory-level course. Previous experience in budgeting is useful but it is not a requirement to attend the course.
The eWorkshop format is great for fitting the training into busy schedules but you will need to set aside time each week and be committed to keep up with the work. We estimate that the course work will take you between 4 to 7 hours a week, depending on your pace of learning.
You will need to access the online course materials for up to one hour 4 to 5 times a week so you need to have regular access to a computer and the internet. You will also need access to a printer as some activities are completed offline.
Getting to know you and the course
- Using online learning tools
- Introduction to financial planning
- Different types of budget
- Challenges of budgeting
- Activity-based budgeting - steps and tips
- The budget worksheet
- Identifying resources
- Practical budgeting - part 1
Summarizing and consolidating budgets
- Categories, codes and cost centers
- Summary budgets
- Budgeting for ‘core costs’
- Practical budgeting - part 2
Budgeting for donors and program management
- Creating donor budgets
- Managing multiple donor funds
- Phased budgets and cashflow forecasts
- Practical budgeting - part 3
Consolidating the learning
- Practical budgeting - budget buddy review
- Summary of tools and techniques
- Action planning