Assessing Your Partners' Financial Health
|Early - Aug 10||Regular - Sep 14|
This online course will equip you with the tools and know-how to assess your partner organizations’ financial systems, capacity and resources, to help make decisions on funding and other support.
This course is designed for staff in NGOs and funding agencies whose role includes assessing potential and existing partner organizations’ financial capacity to manage project funds.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Perform a ‘due diligence’ review for a partner organization, using a checklist approach to identify key risks, conclusions and actions
- Describe key financial management challenges facing partners, and the consequences and risks for program implementation
- Describe best practice financial management models and assessment frameworks
- List financial roles and responsibilities for governing body members and the signs of weak financial governance
- Analyze partners’ audited financial statements, including reviewing the auditor’s opinion and calculating financial ratios
- Prepare for and conduct a partner site visit to assess finance systems and practices.
Also see the Weekly Agenda for the topics covered.
Our training puts the learner at the center, using practical and fun learning activities, and easy-to-use materials. We share tools and techniques that can be immediately used in your work.
An eWorkshop is the online equivalent of being in a training room and learning together as a group, but stretched out over a few weeks. The learning resources include interactive lessons, readings, videos, individual and team tasks, and a practical course assignment. There are no ‘real time’ sessions so you can study at a time that suits you, within the set module weeks.
The course requires a time commitment of around five to seven hours every week.
Introductions and scene setting
- Getting to know the online learning platform
- The partner assessment process
- What you need to conduct an effective review
- Good practice principles and frameworks
- Financial governance – what to look for
- Practical assignment: Introducing the case study
Desk review: financial accountability
- Preparing for the desk review
- Financial reports – where the figures come from
- All about financial reserves
- Analyzing partners’ audited financial statements
- The auditor’s report
- Practical assignment: Reviewing the financial statements
Desk review: financial resilience
- Systems review checklists
- Overview of financial sustainability
- Assessing income diversity and donor dependency
- Reviewing cost recovery policies
- Budget monitoring and donor reporting reviews
- Practical assignment: Assessing financial resilience
On-site review: people, culture and systems
- Partner site visits – when and how?
- Assessing internal risks and signs of fraud
- Deciding when further action is needed
- Capacity building options
- Practical assignment: Conclusions and risk assessment
- Bonus materials
- Top tips summary
- Review and action planning
- Practical assignment: Summary and funding decision