Financial Management for Successful Programmes
This course aims to build the confidence and skills of program staff to use financial management tools to implement project activities in a cost-effective, controlled, and accountable way.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for non-finance program managers and project officers of international NGOs who manage or directly implement projects. It is not suitable for finance staff. A background in finance is not required for this course. This is a companion course to Assessing Your Partners’ Financial Health, geared to program managers who implement programs with local partner NGOs. We recommend that you read this course outline carefully to make sure the content is relevant and meets your learning requirements. If you have any questions please do contact us.
What You Will Learn
The final balance of course content will be decided by those attending the course, according to their interests and training needs. The core components of the course include:
- Overview of the role of financial management in program management, including key concepts and who does what
- The Four Building Blocks of Financial Management: financial planning, keeping accounts, financial monitoring, and internal control
- Making sense of the figures: reading, analyzing and interpreting financial information for project management purposes.
Introduction and overview
- Introductions and expectations
- Course objectives and overview of the day
- Overview of financial management
- Four Building Blocks of Financial Management.
- Who does what in financial management?
- Coding structures
- The financial planning process
- Practical budgeting
- Managing multiple donor-funded projects
Financial reporting and monitoring
- Accounting essentials: where do the figures come from?
- Which reports do we need in program management and why?
- Overview of the annual financial statements
- Using budget comparison reports for program management
Managing internal risk
- Internal control in the field: what goes wrong?
- Key internal control policies and procedures
- The role of audit
Summary and review
- How to integrate financial management into programs
- Finance health-check
- Course evaluation and certificates