HIAS seeks a Staff Attorney to provide direct legal representation to applicants for immigration benefits, primarily asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ), before the family courts, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration Court (EOIR), and Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).
- Develops cases and represent such clients before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Maryland family courts, Asylum Office, Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals
- Conducts intake of new cases and identify appropriate cases for HIAS’ staff and pro bono attorneys.
- Collaborates with and mentors pro bono attorneys and attorneys/representatives working for HIAS sub-contracting agencies and other HIAS-related representation cases.
- Responds to inquiries about immigration law and procedures from individuals, organizations and cooperating agencies.
- Attends conferences and lectures and otherwise stay informed of current developments in immigration law and procedures.
- Maintains records in compliance with reporting requirements of any and all grants or agreements.
- Delivers speaking engagements to community stakeholders on various topics in immigration.
- Juris doctor and Maryland bar admission.
- A minimum of two years of experience with immigration law and practice
- Fluency in Spanish required.
- Excellent analytical writing skills; verbal skills and public speaking experience.
- Ability to work with clients of a range of backgrounds with sensitivity to culture, trauma history, age and other vulnerabilities.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines; self-directed and ability to work autonomously.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license required.