Senior Manager, Business Development
Amref Health Africa, an African health development agency headquartered in Nairobi and founded in 1957, is the largest nongovernmental health development agency based in Africa. It has a global annual budget of $100 million with a wide range of both clinical and primary and public health programs. It has a strong focus on health systems strengthening, particularly at community and district levels. Its priority program areas include Maternal and Child Health, HIV/AIDS, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Training of Health Workers, and Clinical and Diagnostic Services. Amref Health Africa has offices in seven African countries and programs in over 30 countries across sub-Saharan Africa. It has 12 fundraising and support offices in North America and Europe. Amref Health Africa, Inc is the U.S. office of Amref Health Africa worldwide. Its primary responsibilities are to raise awareness and money to support Amref Health Africa's work, and to advocate for effective policies and adequate funding for international health development, especially in Africa. Amref Health Africa, Inc currently has a staff of nine and annual budget of more than $6 million.
The Senior Manager, Business Development is part of the organization’s Business Development Unit (BDU) responsible for securing funding from the U.S. Government. This position isresponsible for tracking and identifying US Government (USG) opportunities for the organization across several technical and/or geographic portfolios; developing plans to compete for these funding opportunities; executing those plans, including oversight of pre-solicitation/pre-proposal activities, as well as proposal preparation and submission; and otherwise contributing to the Organization’s external representation and internal fundraising efforts as they relate to US office and USG donors. The position will report to the Director, Business Development.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Identify and track relevant upcoming USG funding opportunities, including USAID and CDC – through advance intelligence gathering, partner relationships, and other available resources – and inform Country Offices (COs) and relevant Organization’s technical and other partners.
• Liaise with Amref Country Offices (in Africa) and HQ business development Unit to identify and prepare for upcoming funding opportunities.
• Manage actions for pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning including: teaming agreements, bid strategy, development of win-themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation.
• Manage major open USAID solicitations and other proposal submissions, including teaming agreements, oversight of technical design and cost proposal, PPRs, capacity statements, internal review/quality control processes, drafting sections of the proposal where appropriate.
• Represent the organization’s business development interests at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization or donor-specific peer networks, as it relates to USG funding streams.
• Contribute to the expansion of the organization’s consultant roster for key technical and bid preparation functions. This position has 50% or more international travel.
• Masters level degree in Public Health, Education, International development or related technical discipline relevant for Amref Health Africa programs is strongly preferred; Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline combined with substantive work and international field experience will be considered.
• 5 years of experience in successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors, including pre-solicitation preparation. Experience with USAID solicitations is required.
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
• Ability to effectively communicate with and coordinate activities of multiple partners, including fieldbased staff.
• Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, negotiation, and verbal communications;
• Attention to detail;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and sense of humor;
• Willingness and ability to travel internationally, sometimes with little advance notice;
• Working knowledge of French language a plus,
• International field experience in one of the organization’s relevant technical sector is a plus.
Position can be based in DC or New York
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Senior Manager, BD ". NO CALLS
**PLEASE NOTE: ONLY candidates with US government funding experience will be considered.**