Global Director of Human Resources
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Root Capital seeks an experienced, driven and innovative Global Director of Human Resources. This is a key role supporting Root Capital’s diverse senior leadership team.
At the highest level, this role provides leadership and guidance to HR & Admin functions for all of Root Capital’s regional offices. Key areas of responsibility include recruitment, talent management, compensation planning, employee relations and engagement, managerial training, and organizational design. The Global Director of Human Resources determines and leads HR initiatives and is responsible for assessing the effectiveness of HR practices. S/he will be responsible for improving outcomes to ensure that the HR function offers equitable, transparent and inclusive systems and practices to support an engaged and high-performing staff. We envision a Root Capital in which we empower employees across the globe to access and apply the tools and resources they need to be successful in their jobs; to thrive as a diverse, cohesive team; and to enable our multi-faceted approach to growing rural prosperity.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive Human Resources experience required, including HR Director function or equivalent.
- Experience managing a team of HR professionals.
- Breadth of experience across corporate HR and field HR is preferred.
- At least two (2) years of experience working in a global organization, with cross-cultural awareness.
- SHRM certified professional credential or similar.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Engage: Ability to understand organizational context and priorities. Ask questions and develop informed points of view. Deliver on tactical support and identify ways to deliver incremental value to the business.
- Connect: Ability to establish trust and credibility with the HR team and all staff through effective communication, collaboration, and consistently meeting commitments.
- Champion: Represent Root Capital and regional points of view in the development of HR priorities, effectively advocate for, and implement, HR priorities within Global context.
- Adjust: Root Capital is a complex and fast-paced environment and one that is constantly evolving. This role can be ambiguous, and requires a leader who can think critically and be agile to change course to achieve objectives. Leading through change is key.
- Problem-solve: Ability to approach work with an analytical and solution-oriented mindset. Understand root cause of problems/issues, and leverage data to build a business case for change. Apply an end-to-end view when developing and implementing solutions to problems/issues.
- Partner: Effectively navigate within a globally matrixed HR team, and execute in alignment with the global Root Capital strategy.