At Humentum, we commit to prioritizing equity in all we do, both internally and externally. In 2020 we adopted equity principles and a Board Equity Commitment that now help us incorporate equity into all we do.
We are committed to equity throughout all that we do.
- We are willing to learn, adapt, and stay open to discomfort;
- We keep equity at the forefront of all our actions and conversations;
- We acknowledge individual and collective power, and use it for transformation;
- We strive to be humble and own our mistakes.
At Humentum, we prioritize the use of the term "equity" to describe our work in this area, both internally and externally. We are committed to going beyond 'tick the box' exercises - bringing new people into the room does not mean that they are given power or authority; a place in the room does not mean a place at the table. We believe the term “equity” is inherently about allocating and sharing power by equipping people with what they need to fully participate. We want to make sure we transmit the importance of the reallocation of power to all people.
OUR INTERNAL EQUITY WORK
At Humentum we are committed to “walking the talk” – we will work hard to identify, promote and operationalize best practice for our partners and clients, and will strive to incorporate these practices within all we do internally as well as externally. In 2020 we took important steps to apply equity across our compensation and benefits structure; in 2021 we are focusing our attention internally on:
- Creating and implementing an equity-oriented performance policy for all staff, with an emphasis on supporting individuals and teams to learn, grow and achieve together. This includes management training for all Humentum staff to provide us all with a shared approach to performance, tools and support for today’s managers, and resources for staff considering a future role in management.
- Reviewing the language that we use and developing a Humentum preferred language lexicon. This lexicon will replace traditional terms stemming from systemically racist and colonial history with terms that actively represent the equitable future we believe in.
- Launching a communal exploration of our own perceptions, behaviors and beliefs related to race.
Check out our 2020 Equity Strategy Achievements.
Below we have shared an overview of our work partnering with organizations across the sector, courses and events we facilitate, and a list of timely resources. We will continue to regularly update this page with relevant content, including case studies, surveys and reports.